- a minimum of two Colorectal Surgeons
- Medical Oncologist who takes responsibility for Chemotherapy
- Clinical Oncologist who takes responsibility for radiotherapy for rectal cancers
- an imaging specialising (Radiologist)
- Histopathologist specialising in colon and rectum pathology
- Colorectal Cancer Nurse Specialist/s
- An MDT co-ordinator
- Clinical Trials individual
These people are not randomly selected but set out in the Manual for Cancer Standards (2014). These standards are monitored annually via a process called the National Cancer Peer Review Programme to ensure compliance.
This is just one of the ways in which cancer care is governed today. Over the coming months we will talk about the various other ways in which cancer care is monitored and reviewed, as well as how you as a patient can have input through feedback of your experience.